Problems With Your Home That You Should Never Try And Fix Yourself
We all like to think that we can fix things ourselves. After all, we have a box of tools under the stairs, we’ve got vague memories of our parents showing us that thing that they said that we’d need to know how to do because it would be important one day, and there was that time at university where we managed to figure out what was wrong with the washing machine. However, while it is obviously important to have some DIY knowledge and have the ability to fix little things around the house when they go wrong, there are some times when the only sensible thing to do is call in a professional.
Now, this can seem particularly galling if you’re a homeowner. After all, you’ve done it, you’ve got on the property ladder and you’re no longer at the complete mercy of a landlord whose only concern is that your rent goes into their bank account at the same time every month. But we’re going to say it again: there are some problems that it is unwise and unsafe to try and fix by yourself. Thinking you know how to handle major issues in your home is a short route to an even worse problem and a possible trip to the hospital. So no matter if you need a builder to examine your extension in Bramley, or you need a company for your cctv survey and drain cleaning in Bromley, here are just a few examples of problems you should pay someone to fix.
When There’s Something Wrong With The Gas
Let’s start with one of the biggest no-go areas. If you suspect that there is an issue with gas-powered appliance in your house, then you should absolutely call a professional. When you start moving around the big bits of kit that use gas (we’re talking about your oven, water heater, dryers and so on), there is a very good chance that you could knock something loose, not re-install one of the pieces in exactly the right way, or even break something.
Even if you’ve taken every step that you can think of to be safe and careful, there will almost certainly be something that you’ve missed. Even the smallest gas leak can have huge consequences, from poisoning to an actual explosion, so before you think about lifting the oven out so you can see why the grill isn’t working properly, just pick up the phone and call someone who is trained for this. While you’re here, this is an excellent time to remind you that your home needs to have a working smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector. Don’t take any chances with gas, make sure you are completely covered.
When Your Plumbing Is Going Wrong
Of course, a plumbing issue could mean a whole range of things. Maybe the sink is draining slowly or has become completely clogged. Maybe your toilet is backed up, or there’s a groaning coming from the pipes, or it’s something as seemingly simple as a tap that won’t stop dripping. As tempting as it may be to put the washing up bowl under the sink and reach for the wrench, you should know that what you’re looking at may just be the tip of the iceberg. Or tip of the fatberg, for that matter, depending on what has been blocking your pipes.
It’s a fact that a lot of the do it yourself options for sorting out your home plumbing issues, from unblockers packed with chemicals to drain snakes, can actually do more harm than good, especially if your piping is already in something of a fragile state. And while you might be more than capable of replacing the washer on your leaky tap, if the problem is actually a lot further along in your piping, you’re going to spending a lot of time and effort on not fixing the problem. For drain issues, it’s always worth bringing in the professionals to make sure that once it’s fixed, it’s fixed. Click here to find out more about Drain Detectives, who conduct in-depth inspections of drains and pipes to get to the bottom of the problem and get it sorted once and for all.
When Your Roof Is Leaking
We know it’s tempting and it might look like a quick and easy fix, but don’t be so hasty getting that stepladder out from the attic. If it’s just a question of one broken tile that needs replacing, then there’s a good chance that you can be up and down with a hammer and a replacement before you know it, and that’s all when and good. Maybe you can fish out whatever has been clogging the gutter if there’s an obvious problem up there (hello, neighbour’s tennis ball…). However, there are a number of problems that you can run into with your roof that can’t be fixed with a pair of gloves and a bit of effort. If you’re looking at a serious structural issue, then it is always worth calling in a professional contractor who can assess the damage and plan repairs before they start work on it. They will also have a much better idea of what is and what isn’t a safe part of the house to work on when it comes to issues like structural integrity and the location of pipes and wiring.
In addition to the potential for causing additional structural damage to your home, one of the main reasons why you shouldn’t attempt roof repairs by yourself is the fact that falling from the roof while trying to fix it is an extremely common cause of serious injury and even death. It’s not just amateurs either; the statistics for work-related deaths due to falls from height are shocking. Remember: if you absolutely have to go up on the ladder, don’t do it when you’re alone in the house, make sure you have somebody there with you to help.
When There’s Something Wrong With The Electrics
If going up on a stepladder is asking for trouble, that’s nothing compared to the risks that come from trying to sort out an electrical issue by yourself. Now, there are many good reasons for calling a professional to fix your electrical appliances that are not as deadly-hazard-related (you are always going to want to check that you won’t void your warranty if you go poking around the back of your fridge with a screwdriver, for example). Similarly, there are health and safety codes in place in a lot of buildings that insist that any electrical problems be tackled by a licensed professional, so if you cause any damage while you’re trying to take care of it by yourself, you will be completely liable.
However, when it comes down to it, health and safety has got to be the most compelling reason to not do it yourself. Take rewiring for example. You might have watched a tutorial on the internet about what goes where, but if you get something wrong, you are setting yourself up for a serious fire risk and you’re putting yourself and your family in danger. Of course, you might not even get that far. Trying to tackle an electrical problem without having expert knowledge is a really good way to get yourself electrocuted, so keep in mind that a call to a licensed electrician could save you a trip to the hospital.