Vegan Chocolate Mousse – Recipe
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
This is made with aquafaba, which is the juice from tinned chickpeas. Check the labels on your chocolate and custard powder to ensure they are vegan.
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Serves 8
210ml aquafaba (juices from tinned chick peas)
10g Birds custard powder (other custard powders available but again check label for non-vegan additives ie. milk powder)
165ml oat milk (or soya or almond milk)
165g vegan dark chocolate (minimum 56% cocoa solids, check label for non-vegan additives)
50g icing sugar 1 vanilla pod
- Put the aquafaba in a free-standing mixer, if you have one. You can do it with a hand-held whisk, but it does take time.
- Whisk on full speed for 5-10 minutes, until it looks like whisked egg whites.
- Meanwhile, make up the custard with the oat milk and custard powder (follow packages instructions, but normally you need to make a paste with a little of the milk and powder, warm the rest of the milk and vanilla pod up, then add the paste and cook out).
- While all this is going on, melt your chocolate either in the microwave or in a bain-marie. The aquafaba should now look like whipped egg white.
- Time to put it together. Add the icing sugar to the aquafaba and whisk in. Add the custard to the chocolate and beat in until glossy.
- Now add one-third of the aquafaba and gently mix in. Take your time – this will loosen the chocolate custard and allow you to fold in the rest.
- Fold in the rest and then it is ready to put in your desired glass or container. Put in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, decorate and eat! We recommend some chocolate swirls, fresh fruit and a drop of cream, served with a nice espresso or drink of your choosing.