Steamed Sea Bass – Recipe – Pla Pae Sa – Thai Spicy and Sour Sauce with Coconut Rice
Steamed Sea Bass
Pla Pae Sa – Thai Spicy and Sour Sauce with Coconut Rice
2 Sea Bass Fillets
½ Spring onion
1 Pickled garlic head
2–3 Pickled plums
4–5 Close cup mushrooms
Piece of ginger
Piece of lemongrass
2–3 Fresh Kiﬃr lime leaves
¼ Chinese lettuce
300ml. of vegetable stock
2 Spoonfuls of ﬁsh sauce
2 Spoonfuls of sugar
1 Teaspoon of oyster sauce (or soya sauce)
2 Spoonfuls of lime juice
Fresh coriander and sliced fresh chilli for garnishing
for the coconut rice:
½ Cup of Thai jasmine rice
5 Spoonfuls of coconut milk
½ Teaspoon of salt
½ Teaspoon of sugar
Fresh Banana leaf
Steamed Sea Bass – Pla Pae Sa: Method
- Prepare the Sea Bass Fillets by de-boning and de-scaling then rinse thoroughly in cold water.
- Steam the Sea Bass Fillets on a high heat for about 5 minutes (or until the ﬁsh is cooked).
- Whilst cooking the ﬁsh, prepare the spicy and sour sauce and hot pot to serve.
- Remove the tough stem from the middle of the Kiﬃr lime leaves and tear, add to a mixing bowl.
- Chop the spring onions and celery about 2″ long, add to the mixing bowl.
- Slice ginger and ﬁnely shred, add to the mixing bowl.
- Slice lemongrass, add to the mixing bowl.
- Cut the tough stem of the pickled garlic head and slice whole garlic, add to the mixing bowl.
- Remove seed from the pickled plums and lightly crush by hand, add to the mixing bowl.
- Add all the ingredients to a pan of boiling vegetable stock, seasoning with oyster sauce, ﬁsh sauce, sugar, lime juice.
- Place steamed Thai Jasmine rice, coconut milk, salt and sugar in the mixing bowl.
- Place pot on the stove over medium to high heat, stir well.
- Wrap coconut rice in fresh banana leaf before serving.
- Slice Chinese lettuce then place underneath the hot pot, and place the steamed Sea Bass ﬁllets on top.
- Pour the spicy and sour sauce on top of the Sea Bass.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and sliced fresh chilli.
- Serve with coconut rice.
Recipe courtesy of Thai Edge, Leeds