Valentine’s Gift Guide 2013
For Him & Her
For those with an old-fashioned sense of romance who buy into Valentine’s Day (all £900 million worth of us last year), choosing the right gift for your loved one can be tricky – and with statistics showing that 90% of gifts are bought in the 5-days leading up to February 14th, it seems us loved-up boys and girls might need a helping hand with the choosing.
Julia Paddon invites you to On: Yorkshire Magazine‘s lovers’ gift guide for 2013…
FOR HER – PERFUMES:
1. This extraordinary bottle sculpture from Donna Karen certainly has the wow factor – and the scent uses some ingredients traditionally found in masculine fragrances, making it perfect for those darker, more seductive moments. £84/100ml from harrods.com.
2. Another beautifully presented bottle, Thierry Mugler’s ‘womanity’ has a strong feminine backbone underneath incredibly fresh and sweet top notes. Eau de Parfum Refillable Spray, £50 for 50ml – nationwide.
3. Lovely cherry tree eau de toilette from L’Occitane simply bursts with floral notes. First sniff of spring in the air. £32/50ml – stockists: 020 7907 0301.
4. More delicate pink blossoms, this time Turkish rose, from DKNY. Nice, simple, play-safe fragrance for those unsure what their partner might like. £69/100ml – nationwide.
5. This woody, depthful eau de toilette from Orla Kiely is warm and fun – perfect for a matching personality. £43/100ml – John Lewis.
1. This rapidly absorbing body oil from Elemis truly is a massage in a bottle. £31.50/100ml – timetospa.co.uk.
2. Handy sized organic balms for dry or chapped skin that smell great. From £4.99 – nikisbalms.co.uk
3. Botanicals do natural, organic skin care very well – the deep cleansing melt is a delicate but effective facial. £16.95 – botanicals.co.uk.
4. Skin conditioning courtesy of Aromatherapy Associates. Sensual is the word. £33/100ml – aromatherapyassociates.com.
5. All the way from Down Under, Black Chicken body oil is good for both sexes and is totally free of artificial ingredients. £45/100ml – blackchickenremedies.com.
6. A gentle body oil from Weleda that still revitalises the skin. £19.95 – weleda.co.uk.
7. Don’t forget the locks. Neal & Wolf’s Volume Trio Gift Pack is nicely presented and contains a shampoo, a conditioner and a great volumising lotion. £29.95 – nealandwolf.com.
1. Boys – you can rely on Clarins and you can rely on (2.) Mac Cosmetics. Trust me, she won’t be disappointed. Clarins Ltd Ed face & blush powder, £30 – clarins.co.uk.
2. Lady Bug lipstick from Mac Cosmetics, £14 – maccosmetics.co.uk
3. Gorgeous, potent scent from Josephine’s Rose Candle from Jonathan Ward. £32 large size – jonathanwardlondon.com.
4. It’s all in the name. White Pearl Name Bracelet, £25 – my1styears.com.
5. Up your game, and gift a designer bag from Yves St Laurent – ssense.com.
6. Be romantic and practical. Help her avoid make-up meltdowns with DHC blotting paper. £4 – dhcuk.co.uk.
FOR HIM OR HER – CHOCOLATES:
Two of the best presented chocolate collections we’ve ever seen this year, courtesy of Hotel Chocolat and Green & Black’s. Lovely heart theme and exquisite choc designs from Hotel Chocolat, £45 – hotelchocolat.co.uk. Green & Black’s go all angular and bar-shaped, then pack in the varieties for their Ultimate Collection, £14.99 – greenandblacks.com. Or if you’re more on a budget, these cute I Love You Cups from Thorntons say it all – £2.99.
FOR HIM – SCENTS:
1. 25th Edition Cologne for men is a strong, heady scent in an ice cool bottle – match it to the right man. £37.73/50ml – forevershopnow.com
2. A refreshing Cologne from Bluebeard’s Revenge looking decidedly old-skool-cool in its blue bottle, with traditional ‘splash-on’ applicator. £19.99 – shaving-shack.com
3. Classically musky allure from Ben Sherman in a neat gold union jack bottle. £25/50ml – thefragranceshop.co.uk
For more gift ideas for him, visit here
The way to a man’s heart, of course. 1. Impressive wine, cheese and biscuit selection from Godminster comes in a neat wooden box. £50 – godminster.com
2. Olives are aphrodisiacs – buy the best. Fragata Black Pitted Olives from Morrisons.
3. Red berry fruits and a fab gift box – put some fizz into it with this rosé Champagne from Jacquart. £34.50 from Great Western Wine.
4. The pinkest bottle we could find – and a whole new great flavour to boot. Antica Raspberry Sambuca for the spirit lover – £18 – thespiritcellar.com.
5. Sweet toothed? How about a luscious salted caramel sauce. £3.75 – hawksheadrelish.com.
6. And one for the meat lovers. If your other half appreciates the finest beef, why not share a hearty Valentine’s meal for two. Beef Wellingtons from donaldrussell.com.
7. Oysters are well-known for their ‘qualities’ – give him the hint with this oyster knife. £8.39 – nisbets.co.uk
1. Spineless Classics allow grown-up boys to put their favourite literary classics on their walls – the poster contains the book’s full text. Life of Pi poster £44.99 – spinelessclassics.com.
2. Ok cuties, here’s the best cuddle we could find. Valentine’s Patch Bear, £20 – my1styears.com
3. Nice multi-functional porcelain heart dish – purse friendly too! £1.49 – apollohousewares.com.
4. Keep him spruced up with Dermalogica’s invigorating shave gel which looks after his skin while he’s grooming. £18 – dermalogica.co.uk.
5. Sophisticated folded handkerchiefs for the dapper man about town. Simply fold to the desired height and slide into that jacket pocket. Prices range from £19.99 – £24.99 – hankyz.com.