Father’s Day 2014 Gift Guide
Father’s Day 2014
by Julia Paddon
Dads, eh? All shapes and sizes. Unique in every way, except in the fact that collectively they offer the cheapest taxi services known to (wo)mankind. Let’s honour their special day on June 15 by presenting them with something a little better than a pair of socks and a mad scrap for seats down the carvery.
Enjoy On: Magazine’s thoroughly tried-and-tested guide to Father’s Day gifts that discerning dads might actually enjoy and cherish – whatever their size…
(left to right) 1. For dads who enjoy the finer things in life – and a spot of man pampering – this lovely gift box comes with three fresh soaps from the legendary Marseilles savonneries, a cotton wash bag and and a pure cotton towel. Great for holidays or the gym. £29.50 from Ville and Campagne.
2. For Bond loving dads, this amazing poster fits the entire copy of Ian Fleming’s Casino Royale onto a neat 007-themed poster design. £39.99 from spinelessclassics.com.
3. Let dads switch off, float and relax in comfort with an innovative Bath Relaxer. It’s a bath support cushion that rests either under your bum or at the end of the bath for your feet to rest on. Honestly, it works! £6 from bathrelaxer.com.
4. We all know most dads are secret choc eaters – give him a real treat with these divine Godiva truffles. £15.50 from godivachocolates.co.uk.
1. Doro phones might just become something of a cult classic. Their stripped-down back-to-basics design will help dads who have no need for the endless add-ons and gizmos that come with your average smart phones. They are incredibly user friendly and do what phones were once meant to do – text, calls, calendar. Bluetooth is included and the ring is clear and loud. Incredibly lightweight too! RRP £49.99 from amazon.co.uk.
2. STK Powerbanks are for business dads who need emergency power on the move. They provide backup for gadgets that have a USB port and its incredibly small size allows it to be carried on a keyring. Approx £13 from Amazon.
3. Those expensive smart phones need smart protection – and Tech21 have some great choices, whatever model your dad is using. You can choose from Tech 21 Impact Shield Self Heal anti-scratch to Anti-Glare Screen Protectors – and they use technology used in bullet proof glass. Key to the product is offering protection whilst not hindering the phone’s performance. From £24.99 available from Tech21.com.
4. These neat Lumilife golf balls flash for eight minutes after being hit so are easily detectable on darker days or during twilight golf. I’m reliably informed by our Ed that they ‘fly well’ too (whatever that means). This doesn’t mean he could retrieve his from the bottom of a lake, however. £4.99 each or £12.99 for three – from ledhut.co.uk.
1. Monday nights are sacred. For the Game of Thrones loving dad (i.e 97.3% of the population) these cute figurines will enable him to re-enact the Red Wedding scene time and time again (bottle of ketchup optional). Mystery minis are £6.99 from hboshopeu.com.
2. Wasgij is a timely World Cup-themed double puzzle in a box. In addition to piecing together the image on the box of a family cheering on their beloved national team, the second puzzle follows the Wasgij Original concept of piecing together what the characters in the box image are looking at! There’s even a handy World Cup wall chart included! £19.99 from wasgij.com.
3. Educational fun comes in the shape of First World War for Dummies. As the nation commemorates 100-years since the start of The Great War, this beautifully constructed and richly detailed book goes into the complicated reasons behind the start of the war and tracks its progress in an easy-to-follow manner. £15.99 from Amazon.
4. Retro style bubble fun comes in the shape of this rebranded SodaStream. Dads will appreciate the childhood memories that the iconic machine will stir – and there’s a host of fab new flavours to sample. Fizzy soda from the tap – amazing! £79.99 from sodastream.co.uk.
For more gift ideas, visit The Gear Hunt: see more here
1. “First check the fingernails and shoes.” That’s what my mum used to say when advising on the suitability of the latest boyfriend. All dads should therefore come well groomed and well-heeled – and this brilliant Artamis seven-piece shoe care kit takes care of the latter and even folds into a handy travel size. £17 from il2l.com.
2. A year of sporting excess lies in front of us – the football World Cup, the Tour de France in Yorkshire and, in September, Gleneagles will host the Ryder Cup. There’s a great range of merchandise availbale, including this splendid official scarf. £85 from rydercup.com.
3. Practical, you say? What about giving him a helping hand with that Sunday DIY. Grout Shield restores grotty looking old grout without the time and expense of re-grouting. It’s a special resin that bonds with the exisiting grout and forms a seal that should last for ten years. £24.99 from groutshield.co.uk.
1. Whisky connoisseurs will appreciate anything with The Glenrothes label. The shape of the bottle makes it stand out and this is the distillery’s most affordable tipple, which comes with the usual house characteristics of ripe fruit, cirus, vanilla and spice. £38 from Waitrose, Sainsburys and Asda.
2. Want something reliable in the minefield of wine choosing? Try Les Illustres, an elegant red from the Coteaux d’Ensérune that will go really well with that Father’s Day roast beef. £22.50 from Le Bon Vin.
3. For dads who are a little more experimental with their drink choices, why not really give them something to think about with this cocktail bitters set. Bitters are made from aromatic oils, herbs and spices and add dashes of flavour to familiar drinks like bloody Marys or Manhattans. For newcomers, there’s a handy recipe card too – all in a beautifully presented travel kit. £15.95 from thedrinkshop.com.
4. Or what about something even more experimental – and with a Brazilian them too? This lovely, colourful tin from Underberg contains 12 bottles of herbal drinks from 43 different countries, each with a soothing effect on the digestive system. Definitely different, certainly quirky – here’s a gift that’s guaranteed to appeal to daring dads with a love of history and food heritage. £16.85 from thedrinkshop.com.
1. Brilliantly handy smooth shaver from Braun that dads can even use in the shower. It comes with a one hour fully rechargeable battery and up to 45-minutes cordless shaving. If your dad’s an electric shave fan – here’s the product. Approx £69.99 from Boots, Asda, Amazon and other major retailers.
2. For traditional shavers, here’s a great three-step box set from Jack Black. A daily facial cleanser helps dads prepare their skin for shaving, a unique all-in-one pre-shave oil, shave cream and skin conditioner helps the shave and a moisturiser (with SPF20) finishes the job. £47 from mankind.co.uk and Amazon.
3. I’ve extolled the virtues of Dermalogica in my role as Beauty Editor many times – and how wonderful to see them catering for the male of the species with this fab and handy Shave Kit. Help comes four ways via daily scrub, pre-shave guard, shave cream and a post-shave balm. £43.60 – for stockists call 0800 591818.
4. Weleda also have a great range of shave products sold individually, so you can pick and choose your dad’s favourites. Shaving cream £7.95, after shave balm £13.95. From weleda.co.uk.
5. The Bluebeard’s Revenge’s Perfect Dad Kit comprises of the all new eau de toilette (100ml), cooling moisturiser, brushless shaving solution, anti-perspirant deodorant, big bar of blue soap for blokes, and a comb. It comes beautifully gift boxed and has a very reasonable RRP of £49.99 – from Amazon.
6. Finally, for dads who enjoy the benefits of quality oral hygiene (and, let’s be honest, who doesn’t?), Oral B’s new Trizone 5000 has everything he’ll need. So, depending on whether dad is a ‘twister’, a ‘glider’, a ‘whirler’ or a ‘sweeper’ when it comes to brushing his teeth (yes, there really are different ‘types’ when it comes to teeth cleaning!), he’ll be guaranteed best results from this ultra-efficient electric brush with five different brushing modes. £199.99 from Boots and Amazon.