Best Christmas Drinks 2017
Best Christmas Drinks 2017
Julia Paddon selects the drinks to make you merry – and keep you happy – this Christmas…
Gins + 1
- Martin Miller’s Gin is a versatile classic that demands adventurousness with your G&T – try it with a fresh strawberry and a twist of black pepper.
£26 from supermarkets and wine and spirit merchants.
- Cotswolds Dry Gin has a blend of nine carefully-considered botanicals, creating a rich and aromatic spirit with fresh notes of grapefruit and earthy coriander, backed up by piney juniper.
£34.95 from amazon.co.uk.
- Nicholson Gin is rich in heritage and one of London’s oldest gin brands, combining ten botanicals that deliver a substantial, complex and classic dry gin profile, leaving the palette longing for the next sip.
£32.57 RRP from masterofmalt.com.
- For the person who loves luxury, The Liqueur Gift Box is ideal. Hand created oak boxes hold 6 x 100ml bottles, including Rhubarb Vodka Liqueur, Seville Orange Gin, Spiced Rum, Sloe Gin, Morello Cherry Brandy and Bramble Scotch Whisky Liqueur.
£90.55 from demijohn.co.uk.
- Casamigos is a small batch, premium tequila that has won multiple awards across the world. If you buy just one tequila this year…
£65 from harveynichols.com
- Get ready for 2018’s next big drink trend, the ‘Coffee Cocktail’, or enjoy your Tia Maria with tonic and orange peel
£15 from major supermarkets.
- With a single blade of bison grass in every bottle, Żubrówka Vodka makes a great Christmas cocktail with cloudy apple juice and squeezed lime.
£20 from Tesco.
- Made from foraged birch sap, Freya is a brand new flavour for amateur mixologists everywhere, that works well with elderflower.
£37.95 from thewhiskyexchange.com.
- The Frapin VSOP Cognac has been distilling in the Champagne region for 20 generations – which explains the delicate harmony of fruity and slightly spicy tones in this elegant bottle.
£58 from Laithwaites.
- Four unique bourbon recipes are used in the production of this small batch bourbon from Four Roses, one of Kentucky’s most famous distilleries. Enjoy it neat, over ice, or in a classic US cocktail such as the ‘Old Fashioned’.
£27 from Marks and Spencer.
- Republica is a premium, aged blend of two single rums, sourced from distilleries in Cuba and Panama that achieves a harmonious, sweet balance.
£30.41 from masterofmalt.com.
Whisky & Booze
- This mature expression is bright amber in appearance and bursting with notes of spicy Christmas cake, liquorice and toffee, closely followed by a spiced vanilla aroma and the citrusy finish anCnoc is known for. To taste, there is the sweetness of chocolate perfectly contrasted with orange zest and a hint of leather, leaving drinkers with a long warming finish.
£65 from Amazon.
- Whisky lovers can discover a selection of Loch Lomond whiskies with this collection of 3 x 5cl miniature bottles of Loch Lomond Original, Loch Lomond 12 Year Old and Loch Lomond 18 Year Old, presented in an eye-catching gift box.
£21.95 from lochlomondwhiskies.com.
- SPAR have a great Prosecco at a nice price this Christmas – Valdobbiadene DOCG is just a tenner.
£10 from spar.co.uk.
- Guinness have launched these collectible cans decorated with original artwork by renowned British artist John Gilroy in time for Christmas.
£5 for a 4-pack.
- Brooklyn brewery’s fantastic alternative beer, Sorachi Ace Saison, would make a brilliant present for beer enthusiasts who are looking for something different to drink over the Christmas period.
£3.19 each from drinksupermarket.com.
- A couple of exciting new soft drinks for Christmas; Uncle Cornelius’s range includes a zingy lemon flavour and, our favourite, a delicious rhubarb that avoids over-sweetness for a refreshing all-round taste.
£2.50 per 75cl bottle from James White Drinks.
- James White’s range of apple juices are the perfect non-wine alternative for teetotallers this Christmas.
£2.66 per 75cl bottle from James White Drinks.
Your Sommelier source fabulous French wines directly from the vineyards and bring them to the UK. The subscription boxes are a fun way to learn about French wine regions and styles. Three bottles are delivered to subscribers door every month, together with a folder and info cards.
Subscriptions range from £36/month for the Discovery box to £60/month for the Expert box – from yoursommelier.co.uk.
Yorkshire’s own Slingsby Gin have a mini hangable bottle for the tree which are only available from the store in Harrogate. How’s that for a proper Yorkshire specific Christmas treat?
£8, available in store.
An Old Fave
Villa Maria is a bona fide wine classic, and their latest trio includes new vintage Pinot Grigio (£10.45), the lightly sparkling Sauvignon Blanc 2016 (£13.50) and Cellar Selection Sauvignon Blanc 2017 (£13.50) – enough to get any Christmas party started. On top of this, bottles of Villa Maria in major retailers, including Sainsburys, Waitrose, Tesco, Asda, Co-op and Majestic, come with a chance to win a holiday of a lifetime to the home of the brand, New Zealand.