Penne Pasta With Butternut Squash – Recipe
Penne Pasta With Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Seeds
This extremely healthy and delicious vegetarian option is ideal for New Year figure watchers. Chef Paul Collins says: ‘Roast Shallots with Pennoni Regati, Chargrilled Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Seeds’ We say: ‘Shallot, squash, penne’.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1 small butternut squash
20 small round shallots
300g pennoni regati or penne pasta
50g pumpkin seeds
6 tablespoons water
Knob of butter
1 sprig of rosemary, chopped
Rocket, for dressing
- Peel and cut the squash into 1 inch cubes or similar sized pieces.
- Season the squash with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle over a little olive oil then sauté for 5 minutes in a non-stick hot pan until coloured on the outside.
- Peel the shallots and add to the squash in the non-stick pan.
- When they are both cooked remove from the pan and set aside on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water. When cooked drain.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in the oven at 180°c for 5 minutes.
- Add a quarter of the cooked squash with the chilli and the water to the same pan as the shallots were in and cook a little bit more until it almost starts to break down.
- Put in a knob of butter as this will form the sauce.
- Add the chopped rosemary, mix and then add the cooked squash and the shallots. Then mix in the hot cooked pasta.
- Check the seasoning and serve in hot bowls. Grate or shave over the parmesan.
- Finish with fresh rocket leaves and a little olive oil.