Broccoli in Blankets – Recipe
Broccoli in Blankets
A twist on the perennial ‘Pigs in Blankets’, this makes the perfect surprise starter when entertaining. It’s also a winner at family mealtimes, helping to get the kids eating their healthy greens. This easy to follow recipe is simple to prepare and yet looks impressive and tastes wonderful and, of course, helps towards your five-a-day.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
1 broccoli head
8 rashers of bacon
100g blue cheese/cheddar cheese
250ml single cream
- Cut the broccoli into florets and blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes with salt and a splash of olive oil.
- Wrap a large floret of broccoli with half a rasher of bacon and fasten with a toothpick.
- Place on a baking tray and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the bacon is crispy.
- To make the blue cheese sauce, put the cream in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Then add the blue cheese, salt and pepper and leave to reduce on a low heat.
- To serve place a good spoonful of the sauce on the plate and serve the broccoli skewers on top.
- Garnish with black pepper and a sprinkle of oregano.
Chef’s Tip: this is a delicious recipe to introduce children to eating vegetables and the blue cheese can easily be replaced with a milder cheddar to make it more child friendly.