Barbecued Sticky Kung Pao Chicken – Recipe
Barbecued Sticky Kung Pao Chicken
TV chef, Sophie Michell, finds wine classic Blue Nun works with her Asian-style recipes. She says: “The Rivaner Riesling is a super match for most types of Asian and oriental style dishes, which I find can be really hard to match a wine with. And a glug of this fresh, fruity wine is great in the marinade too”.
Prep time 20 minutes, plus 1 hour marinating time
Cooking time 15 minutes
8 boneless/skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
For the Marinade:
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp of Sherry or for a lower sugar marinade use Blue Nun River Riesling
1 tsp honey
One tsp chilli flakes
For the Salad:
½ head of Chinese white cabbage
3 spring onions
1 red chili (depending on level of heat required)
50g roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
For the Dressing:
4 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp Chinese rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
- Firstly, mix all the marinade together in a deep tray or dish and then add the chicken.
- Turn and cover to coat in the marinade and then leave covered in the fridge for as long as possible (up to 24hrs) and for a minimum of an hour.
- To make the salad, peel and cut the carrots into very thin strips and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Then cut the spring onions thinly on a sharp diagonal and also add to the bowl.
- Cut the Chinese cabbage down the middle, de-core, slice to add to the mix and finally de-seed the cucumber, slice thinly and add too.
- Mix well.
- For the dressing, simply mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
- When you are ready to eat, heat up a grill to very hot (or if you are barbecuing make sure it is hot and ready).
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and then place on a grill tray and cook for 8 minutes each side until cooked throughout and caramelised.
- Then add the dressing to the salad, mix well and serve a big pile of salad with the chicken on top.