Perfect Picnic 2014
Perfect Picnic 2014
Late summer. Leaves just turning. Twinkling stream…
What better way to round off this golden summer than buttering up your cucumber sandwiches, packing your check blanket in that old wicker basket and heading to your nearest green space for a spot of al fresco dining…
Julia Paddon selects her favourite new gadgets, drinks and nibbles to turn your late summer lunch into the Perfect Picnic.
1. Fentiman’s selection of old school flavours using time-honoured recipes come in lovely, classically-styled bottles and add a touch of elegance to any picnic. Our favourites include Mandarin & Seville Orange, Dandelion & Burdock and Rose Lemonade.
£1.50 per bottle – stockists: 01434 609 847 / fentimans.com.
2. Unusual and zingingly refreshing fizzy cucumber drink cleanses the palette and can be drunk alone or as an accompaniment to gin, vodka or Pimms.
£2.39 for 750ml from Tesco, Ocado / q-cumber.co.uk.
3. Packed with the juice of four nutritious pomegranates, POM’s Pomegranate and Cloudy Apple juice contains zero sugar, flavourings or colours.
£3.56 for 710ml – pomwonderful.co.uk.
“No longer miss out on the classic alternative to plonk”
4. Fruit and veg crossover smoothies that are packed with goodness. Based on ancient Georgian recipes that preserve many of the natural nutrients, you can enjoy unique flavour combos such as broccoli, pear, spinnach, kale, kiwi, lemon and banana. Key is to find your favourite (or the one your kids enjoy) and tick off a couple of your five-a-day.
£2.49 for 250ml from Selfridges, Harvey Nichols.
5. Use your cool bag for this delicious Welsh organic milk which comes in three flavours – chocolate, strawberry, banana. Handy-sized cartons for lunchboxes, too.
99p for 250ml – from independent delis and cafes nationwide.
6. Fizzy grape experts Shloer now pack their famous bottles in share packs meaning your picnics no longer miss out on their classic alternative to plonk. There are nine flavours to choose from, including the very moreish White Grape and Elderflower.
Share packs £4.29 from Tesco – shloer.com.
1. Tyrrell’s hand-cooked Beach Barbecue flavour crisps are a nice smoky blend of paprika, tomato, cumin, cayenne pepper and garlic.
£2.19 for 150g from major supermarkets.
2. How about some flavoured corn to add pop to your picnic? Propercorn have five flavours; Lightly Sea Salted, Fiery Worcester Sauce, Sun-Dried Tomato, Sour Cream & Chive, Sweet & Salty and our favourites Sweet Coconut and Vanilla.
3. Sort out the sandwiches with a bit of Branston – especially as there are now five new flavours; Caramelised Red Onion, Tomato and Red Pepper, Smoky Tomato and Chipotle, Spicy Tomato and Sweet and Spicy Brazilian – a fusion of tomato, onion, green pepper, ginger and lime.
£1.79 from major supermarkets.
“What summer picnic is complete without a splash of Rosé”
4. …and another home staple, Colman’s have also released a couple of new al fresco sauces in a squeezy bottle, BBQ Chilli and Chunky Burger flavours.
£1.69 from leading supermarkets.
5. Fancy a miniature tipple? Produced by The Lakes Distillery, The One whisky comes in a picnic-friendly mini bottle.
£3.95 for a 5cl miniature – available to purchase at specialist whisky distributors or online at lakesdistillery.com.
6. Cider is the summer drink of choice at the moment and Crabbies have three refreshing new flavours to try; Zesty Lemon, Black Cherry and Raspberry & Rhubarb.
Available from Sainsburys – more info at crabbiesgingerbeer.co.uk.
7. What summer picnic is complete without a splash of Rosé? Gallo’s summer rosé is a light, fresh and fruity wine, bursting with summery flavours of raspberry, pomegranate and strawberries and is perfect for sipping on long, sunny days.
£6.99 from major retailers – visit gallofamily.co.uk for more information.
1. Transport the picnic in style with this fabulous-looking and thoroughly modern picnic basket. Insulated with foil lining to ensure food stays chilled and with a collapsible handle to make sure storage is easy, Pampered Chef have cracked the stylish/practical al fresco dining conundrum!
£32 from pamperedchef.co.uk.
2. Brita Marella Jugs filter water for purification and now come in ten colours, from Orchid blue to Marigold Yellow – perfect if squash is your drink of choice.
£21 from brita.co.uk.